Wisconsin vs. Minnesota: Metros

Milwaukee

Why is Milwaukee better than any city in Minnesota or any city in the United States for that matter? One word: Summerfest. It is the largest outdoor music festival in the world and has 11 days of music, 13 stages and more than 800 bands. Not only is the “Big Gig” the location of the largest outdoor music festival, it also is home to several diverse and ethnic festivals like German Fest, Irish Fest, Indian Summer, Polish Fest, PrideFest, Festa Italiana, Mexican Fiesta and Arab World Fest, to name a few.

Milwaukee is crawling with life in the summertime and Forbes proves this by ranking Milwaukee the ninth best city for singles while Minneapolis ranks only 19th. Milwaukee has the most bars, clubs and restaurants per capita than any other city on the list except Las Vegas. So, if you’re single and looking, you’ll find all the hot spots, date locations and, of course, good-looking singles there.

If you’re not into the nightlife aspect of the city and prefer some intellectual stimulation, there are also several museums in Milwaukee. If you would like to know more about history, just swing over to the Milwaukee Public Museum or America’s Black Holocaust Museum. If you prefer gazing at unique paintings and ancient sculptures, head on over to the Art Museum. There’s also Betty Brinn Children’s Museum or Discovery World Museum for people with children.

Milwaukee is the perfect city for people who like music, festivals, dancing, eating, dating and learning. Chances are, you are one of those people and you love or will love Milwaukee. -RJ

Minneapolis

Where to begin? How to describe the Twin Cities that have it all? Just follow your appetite, to start. Minneapolis-St. Paul has more restaurants than you can wave a fork at. Meritage – the brasserie in downtown St. Paul – is the best restaurant in the state, if not the upper Midwest. Chef Russel Klein prepares elegant mussels with pancetta and serves casual pom frites with artery-clogging béarnaise.

It’s a media-literate metropolis, with two major daily newspapers, innovative radio and television stations and a slurry of online-only and cultural publications. Together, these media help inform and enlighten the Twin Cities’ citizens.

The Minneapolis Art Institute boats one of the most impressive collection of Chinese art in the area. Along with an impressive modern wing and rotating exhibits, including pieces from the Louvre this winter, it’s a must-see in Minneapolis. The Walker Arts Center defies the notion that art should be contained within a museum’s walls and cultivates a mesmerizing sculpture garden on its lawn.

Every summer, the Minnesota Fringe Festival features more than 150 plays and musicals, many which are written and produced by local playwrights and actors. Impromptu shows can be seen anywhere from bowling alleys to professional stages at the University of Minnesota.

The list could go on and on. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter which city reigns supreme. Both Milwaukee and Minneapolis have a lot to offer. Both are home to quaint cafés, fine art, successful breweries, hipsters and hippies and a whole lot of good food.