In Review: Water Street Deli and Grocery

Posted at 12:00 am 2/12/10

When the semester started, I told my roommates that I would try to eat at every restaurant on Water Street. I haven’t come close to accomplishing that goal.

One of the first restaurants I visited in my quest was the Water Street Deli and Grocery, located at 628 Water Street. I didn’t know much about it when I entered – it was new and I’m not too familiar with Mediterranean style food. When I left, I declared it one of my new favorite restaurants.

The Water Street Deli and Grocery offers a wide variety of Mediterranean style foods – falafel, hummus, baba ghannouj, kabobs and gyros to name a few. As I already mentioned, my background in Mediterranean foods is very minimal, but after eating at The Water Street Deli and Grocery numerous times, I have developed a taste for it. I haven’t been disappointed by a dish there yet. If Mediterranean food isn’t your type of food, the Deli and Grocery also offers cheese curds, cheeseburgers, philly cheese steak , chicken wings and chicken strips, as well as a small assortment of other American-style foods.

As if the delicious food wasn’t enough, the Water Street Deli and Grocery has an incredibly friendly staff and as the name would suggest, everyday necessities are also sold there – from soda and milk to cigarettes and vegetable oil. Water Street Deli and Grocery has not only become my favorite Water Street-based restaurant – competing only with Shanghai Bistro for the entire-city crown – but it has also become a one-stop-shop for the little items I need every day.