In Review: The Class

At the 2008 Cannes Film Festival, a low-budget French film about the inner-workings of a middle school located in inner city Paris made a surprisingly huge splash. That movie, “The Class,” ended up winning the Palme d’Or, something that cannot usually be said for films that surround the education system.

But perhaps that is because most movies about the education system are made by the U.S. film industry. Unfortunately, most of them are more concerned about writing a catchy tune about gangsta paradises than actual character development. “The Class,” on the other hand, is one of the few that gets it right from the very beginning.

Believability is the first noticeable thing the film demonstrates incredibly well. Compared to other films like it, “The Class” conducts itself with a sense of authenticity. At times, it looks as though it could be a documentary, shot with a grainy texture and unique camera angles.

When the film decides to focus on a teacher named Mr. Marin, played by the film’s scriptwriter Fran‡ois Begaudeau, it even furthers this believability factor. The teacher’s class is a melting pot of modern-day French society, consisting of 20 or so students with a wide variety of backgrounds and beliefs. Played by first time actors, the students make the movie what it is, with each one playing their part to perfection and truly embodying what it is to have just become a teenager. They let everything flow naturally, never becoming stereotypes or caricatures of themselves, something even experienced actors pretty much always do when playing a teenager.

If the film has a single flaw, it is that not enough happens. Although watching the young actors do their thing is captivating early on, and watching their relationship with the teacher grow is entertaining, it gets old after about an hour. The film runs a little over two hours and could definitely have benefited from some script trimming. The film’s major event and eventual climax do not come until far into its second half, putting a strain on the viewer as they attempt to figure out where exactly the film is going.

But once the particular event in question happens, the film becomes even more captivating than it was initially and really begins to fire on all cylinders. The film’s tone takes a drastic change into a more suspenseful one, something that could have really sunk the film. However, the film completes the shift brilliantly, allowing the viewer to realize how attached to the teacher and the students they have become as the film has progressed.

“The Class” was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the 2009 Academy Awards. It is a film that raises some good questions and will leave the viewer thinking about it even after the final frame is shown. It is an excellent example of how a movie about education should be made, hopefully enough people take notice.