Student Senate passes bill to fund campus arboretum

Rachyl Houterman

More stories from Rachyl Houterman

SOS has funded the program for the past three years

Senator Lauren Becker offers her thoughts after a presentation by City Council Member Kate Beaton.

Photo by Sam Farley

Photo by Sam Farley

Photo by Sam Farley

Student Senate on Monday passed a resolution to continue funding the campus arboretum.

The bill approved $13,500 in funding for the Centennial 100 Tree Project. Funding comes from the Student Office of Sustainability’s Green Fund.

An initiative that began in 2016, the Centennial 100 Tree Project was a collaborative effort between students, faculty and staff to bring more trees to campus and celebrate UW-Eau Claire’s centennial. There are 107 different tree species on the UW-Eau Claire campus, according to an article from the UW-Eau Claire website.

UW-Eau Claire also received Tree Campus USA certification in March 2018. This certification is given to campuses that meet five standards including “the establishment of a tree advisory committee, evidence of a campus tree-care plan, the dedication of annual expenditures for the campus tree-care plan, an Arbor Day observance and the sponsorship of student service learning projects.”

Funding for the program provides maintenance for the trees and ensures tenets of the Tree Campus USA requirements are being met.

Senator Austin Gulbrandson spoke in support of the bill.

“As a former member of SOS who worked to get this Tree Campus Certification last spring and as a student who loves trees,” Gulbrandson said. “I am definitely in favor of this.”

The vote passed 29-01.

Other news:

• Senate passed a bill to approve Blugold Commitment Differential Tuition funding for 2019-20.
  • The Finance Commission introduced a special allocation bill to the Student Organization of Latinos and Latinas.
  • The Student Office of Sustainability introduced a bill to fund sustainable improvements to the Art Department.

Houterman can be reached at [email protected].

Rachyl Houterman, Freelance Writer

Rachyl Houterman is a senior journalism student with a political science minor. She enjoys traveling and visiting national parks as well as hiking and photography. In her free time, she likes to read and be outdoors.

Sam Farley, Multimedia Editor

Sam Farley is a third-year multimedia and web design student with a minor in Spanish and a certificate in computer programming. She can be found outside with her camera, at the nearest bowling alley or on campus solving crypto quotes and watching Tasty cooking videos.