One hundred reasons to celebrate: week 23

+Pictured+above+in+McIntyre+Library%E2%80%99s+front+Reference+desk+in+February+of+1994.

Pictured above in McIntyre Library’s front Reference desk in February of 1994.

Story by Kelsey O'Connor, Staff Writer

Each week The Spectator will showcase organizations, departments, majors or other aspects of UW-Eau Claire as a part of the centennial celebrations event known as “100 Reasons to Celebrate.”

All photos courtesy of Special Collections and Archives, W.D. McIntyre Library, UW-Eau Claire.

#82- Forensics

Founded in 1944, the Eau Claire Forensics team is one of the oldest forensics programs in the country. According to the Eau Claire website, members of the Eau Claire Forensics team work each year to “hone their research, writing, and speaking skills all while forming arguments on issues that are significant to their viewpoints or experiences.”

The Eau Claire forensics team hosts tournaments at home, but also travels to compete. They have gone as far as Texas and Florida in past years. Throughout a school year, students have the opportunity to compete at 11 different events. At these competitions they have earned over 15 national titles and 32 state championships.

There are currently two coaches for the Forensics team. The first is Karen Morris who is a senior lecturer and the Director or Forensics. The second is Kelly Jo Wright, a senior lecturer and the Assistant Director of Forensics.

There is a wide variety of topics that members of the Forensics team discuss or debate. Some examples of past topics include the lack of women of color going into STEM fields, an after-dinner speech discussing progressive privilege and a persuasive speech on airlines mistreating the disabled.

Any students interested in getting involved with the forensics team can stop by Hibbard Hall room 175 or email [email protected]

#83- McIntyre Library

Eau Claire’s McIntyre Library consists of a lower level and 5 stories. Each floor has a set purpose. As you move up through the floors the noise levels become quieter. The first level is often used for group meetings while higher levels allow students to study in a quiet environment.

Different books or resources can be found on different floors of the McIntyre Library. The lowest level holds the Instructional Media Center (IMC), a map collection and some moveable storage.

The first floor contains the front reference desk, government documents and equipment checkout. While the second floor has a microfiche collection, a periodical collection, microform readers and CD’s and DVD’s.

The third, fourth and fifth floors contain a general collection and faculty or group study areas. However, the fifth floor also houses oversized books and the special collections and archives.

McIntyre also offers tours for students to learn more about the library. The tour takes about 30 minutes and help students find out where to study, relax, eat and collaborate. Students can also learn how to locate books, journals and other materials and where to ask questions and get research help.

To request a tour, students can contact the Research and Instruction Department at 715-836-3858 or [email protected].

This 1989 photo shows the Government Publications Department in McIntyre Library.

#84- TRIOProgram

According to Eau Claire’s website, student support services is funded by a federal TRIO grant. This year the TRIO grant was awarded to Eau Claire for $389,866. This funding accounts for 100 percent of Student Support Services costs.

The mission of Student Support Services is to “provide participants with individualized assistance that contributes to their academic achievement, enabling them to accomplish their educational and career goals.”

With this money, student support services provides academic assistance to approximately 300 Eau Claire students from a family of limited income or where neither parent has received a four-year college degree.

Student Support Services also offers a variety of services such as career counseling, tutoring, mentoring, financial planning, additional financial aid, graduate school prep and more.

Any student who feels they are eligible to participate in Student Support Services or with questions can call (715) 836-4542 or email [email protected].