During the first week of spring semester, UW-Eau Claire Police responded to a total of 11 drug cases on campus

Police+Blotter

Story by Sami West, Staff Writer

Mysterious odors

A resident’s assistant reported a strong odor of marijuana on the third floor of Governors Hall at 5:35 p.m. on Jan. 30, according to a UW-Eau Claire Police report.

The responding officer noticed a slight odor, and determined it to be coming from a specific room. Unable to hear anyone from inside the room, the officer knocked several times and did not receive any response.

At 10:05 p.m. Feb. 1, authorities returned to the room. The residents claimed to have been off campus the entire weekend, and that no one should have been inside their room while they were gone.

Allowing the officer to search the room, the report stated that the subjects were entirely cooperative. In the search, authorities did not find any items of interest. Police left the scene without issuing any citations.

‘Drugs’

Campus police responded to a report of a strong odor of marijuana in the east third floor of Putnam Hall at 10:30 p.m., Jan. 31.

The responding officer determined the smell to be coming from one specific room. A male who exhibited glossy, red bloodshot eyes and dilated pupils, invited the officer in. According to the police report, the subject appeared to be nervous, and he cleared his throat often.

When asked why he thought the officer had come to his room, the subject stated “underage drinking,” but the officer assured the subject that they were not there for that purpose, and if they found any alcohol in the room, they would just dump it. Later, the subject claimed that he had not consumed any alcohol that day, and that he had been hoping to throw the police off, the report stated.

The student showed university police where any illegal items were stored, and explained that he had used a vaporizer to prevent a strong odor, according to the report.

In their search, the police found the vaporizer described by the subject, two glass pipes, wooden dugouts, plastic bags with screens, two one-hitters, a prescription bottle with a bag of leafy green plant material inside, and a plastic container labeled “Drugs” with leafy green plant material inside.

Cited for possession/use of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia, the subject chose a diversion program.

Two for the price of one

Campus police received a report of a strong scent of marijuana coming from two male subjects walking up the wooden stairs near McPhee at 1:38 a.m. Jan. 31.

The responding officer found one subject to exhibit glossy, red bloodshot eyes, and the other constantly swaying back and forth, giving answers unrelated to the topic and frequently interrupting the other male subject.

The first subject admitted to smoking from an E-Cig, and gave it to the officer, according to the police report.

Although the E-Cig strongly smelled of marijuana, the subject claimed that he had not been smoking marijuana from it as he walked up the stairs. When the officer asked when he had smoked marijuana from the E-Cig last, the subject explained that he had this morning.

The other subject claimed that he had not been smoking that night. The responding officer then asked that subject how much he had drank that night. The subject became quiet, and refused to answer the question.

The first subject opted for the diversion program, and the second subject received a first offence $236.50 underage drinking ticket.