A race over ‘the future of the supreme court’

State Supreme Court Justice Walsh Bradley calls for a court free of out-of-state special interest

Photo by Submitted

Story by Raina Beutel, Staff Writer

Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Ann Walsh Bradley said her ideal court is fair, impartial and  independent of out-of-state interests at an on-campus campaign stop Wednesday afternoon.

Bradley visited campus to rally student support for her campaign “steeped in the root of law,” to retain her seat on the Wisconsin State Supreme Court, she said.

Bradley is running against Rock County Circuit Judge James Daley April 7, an election she said will determine “the future of the supreme court.”

“This race is about what kind of justice and court system the people of this state want,” Walsh Bradley said.

Bradley asked students for their support to help extend her 30-year judicial career, where she said she has stood up for “individual rights,” and maintained accessible and accountable government.

She said her 20 years on the Wisconsin Supreme Court have taught her the meaning of an “independent judiciary,” free from agendas of out-of-state special interest groups.

Bradley noted a study which placed Wisconsin at second in the nation for television commercials in judicial races funded with money from out of state special interests.

“Wisconsin has one of the greatest problems with out of state special interests,” Walsh Bradley said.

Bradley said political agendas don’t allow a “fair shake” in the judicial system.

Bradley said while we live in times of “hyper-partisanship,” she has secured the endorsement of Democrats and Republicans.

“They understand the importance of an independent judiciary,” Bradley said, “free from partisan politics.”

Sandra McKinney, a current candidate for Eau Claire City Council, said Bradley does “great work” and attended to learn more about Bradley’s campaign.

Jeremy Gragert, coordinator for Progressive Students & Alumni, said Walsh Bradley’s campaign reached out to his organization to hold the meet-and-greet. Gragert said it is crucial to give students a way to meet candidates and be engaged in civil life.

“A big point of her being here is to remind people there is an election,” Gragert said. “Even if there’s not a lot of attention, it’s critical we have voters in this election.”