Pointing out proper grammar

Department of Business Communication uses National Grammar Day to promote the skill as important for all students

GRAMMAR SWAG: UW-Eau Claire students could participate in contests on the College of Business Facebook page for a chance to win water bottles, tote bags or keychains as part of National Grammar Day on March 4. Submitted

Story by Rachel Streich, Staff Writer

“Punctuation saves lives.”

These are the words written on junior Erin Kelly’s new water bottle, which shows the phrase “Let’s eat Grandma,” can mean something much less shocking if it becomes “Let’s eat, Grandma.”

As part of the second annual celebration of National Grammar Day at UW-Eau Claire, Kelly won this water bottle in a contest on the College of Business Facebook page.

This year, the Department of Business Communication hosted the Facebook competition and held receptions in the Business Writing and Presentations Studios in Schneider Hall to raise awareness of the significance of using correct grammar.

Every hour from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., the “grammar gremlins” in the BCOM department posted two sentences on the Facebook page. The first person to comment choosing the sentence with correct grammar won a grammar-related prize ranging from tote bags to keychains and water bottles.

“It’s just a fun way to call attention to the importance of polished grammar to one’s professional success,” Paula Lentz, the academic program director for the department, said.

National Grammar Day started in 2008 after Martha Brockenbrough, founder of the Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar, decided a day should be set aside to recognize the imperative to “march forth” for speaking and writing well.

Lentz said grammar skills are particularly essential in the workplace because employers will see a student’s ability to use standard English business grammar as a mark of intelligence, professionalism and competence.

Tutors in the Business Writing Studio help students hone their skills in writing and grammar for their futures.
Kate Morrison, a senior health care administration major and tutor in the Business Writing Studio, said any student on campus who needs help with business-related communication can come in and get help with written work such as resumes and cover letters for internships or careers.

“I think the better you are at communicating, the more positive interactions you’re going to have with people and the better you’ll be to prepare yourself for a job,” Morrison said.

Morrison also said the Business Writing Studio is a good resource for students who may want another set of eyes to see their work, and it is  less intimidating than having a professor review an assignment.

While students can also receive help with writing and grammar at the Writing Center in Centennial Hall, Morrison said if students want assistance specifically with business projects, it’s nice to have another option.

The writing and presentations studios have now been open for about a year and Morrison said more students are starting to take advantage of the resource. She said National Grammar Day is a good way to focus on the studios for a day.

Kelly, a Latin American studies major who has taken a business writing class, said she sees the importance of receiving help with grammar if needed because professors in the department tend to deduct points on assignments for each grammatical error.

While Kelly is pursuing a business communication certificate, she said business communication classes are important for any profession because they help students become more powerful candidates in the workplace.

At the end of the day after winning twice in the Facebook contest, Kelly said it was a unique way to celebrate National Grammar Day even though the page was not flooded with comments.

“I think it does have the potential to unite fellow grammar nerds,” she said.

Lentz said National Grammar day is significant for educational purposes, but it’s also simply a fun occasion the Department of Business Communication continues to observe on campus.