Service with a smile

While junior Jennifer Leuman Gagnon was waiting in line to check out at the marketplace in Davies Center, it was hard for her not to notice the conversations between the cashiers and the students ahead of her.

“For you students, I’ll do anything,” said Becky Selmer, a cashier in Davies, to Leuman Gagnon when she was asking for something to go along with her meal. This sums up how the women of Davies interact with students.

Students are in such a hurry and a daze that a lot of their surroundings go unnoticed and students could miss Selmer’s comment and how much she really cares for the students at UW-Eau Claire.

Even though the workers of Davies may go unnoticed, they are still crucial in the day-to-day operations of Blugold Dining.

“I love the kids, I love the students, love to talk to people, it’s just awesome,” said Jamie Bowlsby, a cashier in Davies Center.
Bowlsby has been working at Blugold Dining for 14 years and said she hopes to continue working there for many more years
to come.

Bowlsby said the students are very respectful and nice even though they are in a rush. She said most students have less than an hour for their lunch and the crowds can be large depending on the time of day it is.

Yet most students take the time to talk about their busy days and ask about Bowlsby’s day while they are checking out.

“I think they are pretty respectful, it’s kind of surprising actually,” said Leuman Gagnon. “Traditionally most people would not be very respectful, I don’t know if it’s just Eau Claire or the students, but everyone seems to be respectful and the lunch ladies always seem to be happy so that I think bounces off on people.”

Seeing constant smiles on their faces is contagious and Leuman Gagnon said it gets others in a better mood regardless of their day.

Mark Thornton, operations manager for Blugold Dining, said they’re lucky to have a friendly and personable group of employees.

“I have really noticed the commitment and willingness to learn the staff has exhibited this semester with all the changes on campus this year,” Thornton said. “It is really a testament to their work ethic.”

Susie Deacon is one of the most well-known workers in Davies, but said she was too shy to talk about her experience.

Junior Kyle Carr said Deacon is sweet and always wishes students good days.

“I think everyone can agree that Susie makes your day better,” he said.

Carr  said the workers deserve a lot of attention and praise for what they do. He said the workers go out of their way to engage in discussion with the students when it’s not required and that they are just simply nice people.

Bowlsby doesn’t see any reason to leave.

“I can’t think of anything,” she said. “I just love it here.”