Water Street fire donations a success

It was about a week before a fire broke out on Water Street  when Brianna Burke, a senior student senator, proposed a stash of supplies be created in case of an emergency, said junior Sarah Tyrrell, student senator and member of the student service commission.

The fire struck before Burke’s idea was put into play, but the morning of the fire, Tyrrell said she spoke with Burke about what they could do to help the victims.

From Oct. 10-12, a table was set up in Davies Center where donations could be made, Tyrrell said. Laptops and TVs were among some of the items donated.

Burke, director of the Student Services Commission, said about $1,300, along with food and clothing, were donated to help the fire victims. Tyrrell said the victims were also given a donation from the American Red Cross.

“(The victims) were extremely grateful that the student body would pull together and do something like this,” Burke said.

Emily Gresbrink, a senior journalism major, said the two men who survived the fire went through the donated items and took what they needed and wanted.

Gresbrink also said Burke told her any items donated but not used for the men, would be put away for future emergencies or donated to an organization.

There were about eight Walmart bags filled with donated food, Gresbrink said, adding it was touching to see family and
friends helping.

Burke said the biggest thing they learned from the experience was the desire students and faculty have to help.

Tyrrell said she is thankful to those who helped by donating and those who gave up their time to work at the table.

“It was great to see students donating stuff and helping,” Tyrrell said.

She also said she hopes an emergency fund will be set up in the future. Especially since this happened, she believes students will be more willing to give donations.

Tyrrell thought maybe they could store items in a side room in the Student Senate Office.

Gresbrink said she hopes the victims were able to get what they wanted and needed, and that what they took was helpful to get them back on their feet.

Editor’s Note: Emily Gresbrink is a former Spectator employee.