Police Blotter 9.27.12

Cigarette light causes car crash on campus
Saturday, Sept. 16

At 8:05 p.m., an officer was dispatched to a campus parking lot where a traffic accident had occurred moments earlier. Prior to exiting a stall, a driver lit a cigarette. After exiting the stall, some ash had inadvertently fallen onto his pants. The driver reported that he looked down for “two seconds” to wipe off his pants and in that time frame collided with a parked van. The collision caused some damage to both vehicles, but no injuries were reported.

Smell of illegal drugs in the air
Saturday, Sept. 16

At approximately 10:17 p.m., an officer was dispatched to a residence hall for a complaint of an odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. An officer had already been on scene, so the two officers investigated the situation together.
When they reconvened outside the door of the reported room, one of the officers reported the slight odor of marijuana coming from the door jam. The officer also reported smelling a citrus spray, feeling a draft from the room and hearing a fan running inside the room. It was also reported that no movement was detected from the room and no shining light was seen from the edge of the door frame. After that, the officers knocked on the door, but there was no response and left the scene.
This original dispatched officer returned with another officer for a follow up on Sept. 18 at 12:10 a.m. After knocking on the door for three minutes, the knock was answered by one of the residents in the room, and he granted the officers access to the room. The other resident was sleeping in his bed at the time and was awoken by one of the officers.
Upon being questioned, both residents denied using marijuana and denied being in the apartment or the hall itself at the time of the initial investigation. The officers then searched the room for any  illegal items and found nothing.

An officer and a language barrier
Saturday, Sept. 22

Around midnight an officer was observing traffic on the 200 block of Water Street when she observed a yellow Chevy Cobalt travel past her location without headlights on. Upon pulling over the driver, the officer used a temporary permit for identification purposes. The driver and the officer had trouble communicating due to a language difference, but she managed to find out that the driver was heading to the university in a friend’s car and was unaware that the headlights were not on. It seemed that the driver did not understand the limitations of an instructional permit as there was no one over the age of 21 in the vehicle.
Another officer also arrived to assist. Upon the arrival of the driver’s friend, the officer was able to ask more thorough questions about the rules of understanding a temporary permit. The officer then issued a written warning for driving without the headlights on and advised that the driver have a valid driver’s license shipped here since it is in another country.