University to offer voter IDs to students

UW-Eau Claire students looking to get a valid ID to vote with will soon be able to get one through the university.

On Nov. 21, the Government Accountability Board approved the university’s new temporary photo ID design for voting use.

Though the new card may look just like the Blugold card students are familiar with for eating at the cafeteria and checking out library equipment, the new card has the relevant information required for a valid photo ID for voting.

According to the new Voter ID Law, students who wish to vote in Wisconsin elections without a valid Wisconsin or military ID will need to get one of these temporary two-year IDs. The IDs have the necessary name, photo, issue and expiration date alongside the student’s signature required by the law.

Eau Claire Communications Director Mike Rindo says the IDs are part of the university’s work with the UW System’s Legal Council and the Government Accountability Board to give students the ability to exercise their constitutional right to vote.

“About 25 percent of the student body is from Minnesota and the question is where is the student going to vote?” Rindo said. “We want to give students the option if they wish tovote here.”

Rindo said the IDs will cost about $2 each to make, but the university has not yet decided where that money will come from.

Regardless of where the money will come from, Rindo said the cards will be available in time for spring elections.

With new requirements for voting in Wisconsin, some students believe these restrictions will only further hinder potential voters.

“I don’t think it’s going to boost voting,” senior Peter Harris said. “Some people are already put off by the different steps you have to do regularly.”

However, other students are more optimistic about the change.

“I think it will be interesting to test out these new IDs,” junior Robbie Lannon said. “It’s highly probable that I will try it out.”

Once they are available for spring elections, students will be able to get their own temporary ID from the Blugold Card Office where they received their regular Blugold card.