Police blotter: Nov 10, 2011

Up on the rooftop

Sunday, Nov. 6

At 1:50 a.m., two student patrol members notified officers of two people on top of Katharine Thomas Hall throwing rocks at people passing below. When they arrived, the officers didn’t see anyone on top of the building and concluded there was no way someone could have accessed the roof by climbing the outside of the building.

The student patrol members said they were unable to get a physical description, but they had just seen two heads looking over the edge of the roof. The two people had thrown rocks at the student patrol members but missed. They showed the officers the rock that was thrown at them and said they thought it was big enough to cause serious injury if someone were hit with it. However, the patrol members said they didn’t see anyone or anything get hit.

The officers entered the building to check the area, and to make sure the Putnam Hall roof hatch was secure.

Good night and good luck

Sunday, Nov. 6

At 1:38 a.m., an officer observed a male sitting on a bench near the lobby entrance to Towers Hall. The male was hunched over and appeared to be passed out. The officer identified himself to the male, who then woke up abruptly. He said he was OK but had had too much to drink. He had sat down to smoke a cigarette and had fallen asleep.

The officer could smell alcohol on his breath, his speech was slurred and his eyes were bloodshot and glassy. He tried to stand up and walk several times but was too unsteady to make it to the building. However, he was able to answer the officer’s questions without any difficulty. After submitting to a preliminary breath test, he blew a .17. The officer issued the male an underage drinking citation.