Frat faces sexual assault allegations

“The cases are considered ‘Open Investigations’ therefore we will be very limited on the information we can presently provide,” said Jason Kaveney, community relations officer of the Eau Claire Police Department in a release to the media.

The Spectator was put in contact with one of the two complainants that filed a police report, and the woman agreed to comment on the sexual assault allegations on the condition of anonymity. Since the investigation is still ongoing, no charges have been filed at this point.

The woman has no recollection of the assault itself, but is sure that the alleged assault happened at the FIJI house Nov. 12. She said it wasn’t her first time in the house and she felt Carlisle comfortable going there in the past.

“I woke up next to (him), who didn’t have anything on, and I knew I was in the room that all my stuff was,” the woman said. “I was in the bed and didn’t have anything on from my waist down; I didn’t even have my shoes or socks on.”

The next morning, the woman proceeded to the hospital, where she received treatment.

“The next day I went to the (hospital) and I took the rape kit, and the forensics testing,” she said. “They gave me a shot, they took my underwear and they gave me a bunch of pills to take.”
Lund said if he ever became aware of a sexual assault occurring at the FIJI house, that he knew how he would respond.

“I would wait, no, not wait,” Lund said. “I’d probably seek immediate action against them, talk to them and take appropriate action. Whether that be kicking them out of (FIJI), or kicking them out of the house that represents our organization.”

Although Brian Carlisle, UW-Eau Claire’s Dean of Students, could not comment on the sexual assault allegations, he did say the organization has already been found guilty of several violations including “possession and the selling of alcohol, and the construction of an ice rink in the property.”

The violations were first made public on Jan. 25 in a letter sent to students, faculty and staff by Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Beth Hellwig.

Lund admitted to the distribution of alcohol at the house, but said they are eager to solve that problem. He also said he was not sure whether identification was being checked.

“I was never part of that,” Lund said. “Pretty much all of that happened before I was president.”

Moving forward, the woman said she would like to stay in Eau Claire because she has strong support from her friends and family.

“The dean was also very helpful with everything; he helped me with school, finding tutors,” she said. “I’m living off campus next semester, which will make me feel a lot better and it’s far away from the FIJI house, so that’s really good.”

Carlisle pointed out that there are good people in Phi Gamma Delta and that it is important not to jump to any conclusions when reacting to the confirmed violations.

“I don’t want people to be misleading in believing that all members of that chapter are bad people. They are absolutely not,” Carlisle said. “Just like in any other organization, you’ve got good people and you’ve got bad people.”