Resolution approved in opposition to Senate Bill 6

A resolution in opposition of the Wisconsin State Bill 6 (SB6) in its current form was passed by the Student Senate with a majority vote of 22-3 Monday night, but not before a two-hour-long debate and a few amendments over its content.

If SB6 is passed, to cast a ballot in an election in Wisconsin, people would have to present a valid ID that would not require having a current address. But only three types of identification would be accepted: a Wisconsin driver’s license, a Wisconsin ID issued by the Department of Transportation and a military ID.

The Student Senate, through the passed resolution, urges Representatives Warren Petryk and Kathy Bernier, as well as State Senators Kathleen Vinehout and Terry Moulton, to oppose SB6 in its current form. According to the Student Senate resolution, SB6 would make it more difficult for students to vote and the resolution suggests that other forms of IDs, such as student IDs and a U.S. Passport should be accepted to cast a ballot.

“In the status quo right now, (SB6) would make it more difficult for students to vote,” said Mark Morgan, the Student Senate Academic Affairs Director. “I think (the state legislature) will have to make some amendments to make it constitutional.”

Senator Paydon Miller, who introduced and wrote the resolution, said that students are already a group that is being victimized by voting regulations, and SB6 would give more reasons to turn students away from the polls.

“Students are not OK with having restrictions placed on their ability to vote on their access to the polls,” he said.

Senator Patrick Martin said that hopefully this resolution will get to the right people in Madison and that the students’ voice will be heard.

“Maybe the legislators will think about a constituency that they hadn’t thought about when they were writing the bill,” he said.