Resignation suggested

A Student Senate Executive Board resolution passed Monday night requesting that Student Body President Dylan Jambrek apologize for a letter sent to the Information Systems department chair calling for the chair’s resignation.

The point of the resolution, introduced by Finance Commission Director Jacob Kampen, was to provide an official opinion from the Student Senate Board of Directors. Kampen said the resolution does not condone Jambrek’s letter, and shows respect for the chancellor’s decision and approach to the situation. The resolution passed 7-5-2.

In addition, Kampen sent a letter to Chancellor Brian Levin-Stankevich to make sure that the administration knew Jambrek’s opinion was not representative of the entire Student Senate.

Kampen’s letter also addressed the issue of academic freedom, in reference to Hilton’s e-mail to a student regarding the advertisement of the Eau Queer Film Festival. He said that while there are other concerns with the e-mail from Hilton to a student, he feels strongly about the protection academic freedom offers.

“I really think that if a faculty member holds an opinion … no matter how controversial it is, that the faculty member should be allowed to voice those opinions and not face calls for resignation or discipline for that,” Kampen said.

The resolution also asks that Jambrek submit a written letter of apology to Hilton. As the resolution is non-binding, Jambrek is not required to do comply.

“The point of this was never to embarrass Dylan (Jambrek),” Kampen said.

Jambrek said while he respects the board’s opinion, he does not plan to apologize because any apology would be insincere.

“We all need to remember that there are people below Dr. Hilton who are impacted,” Jambrek said.

The letter Jambrek sent to Hilton Friday expressed his concerns and dissatisfaction with Hilton’s response to the student director of the film festival.

“While I respect the right of you and of all human beings to exercise their right to free speech, your comments towards a fellow student have gone too far,” Jambrek said in the letter. “To abuse the position of a faculty member over a student on a class project was out of line.”

Jambrek went on to say he was personally “shocked, dismayed and hurt” by Hilton’s comments and said that they “only drive people into shame, self doubt and even suicide.”

He also said in the letter that the response to the Eau Queer Film Festival was not the first time Hilton has “responded negatively to another student in this way.”

Jambrek’s reference concerns an e-mail sent April 12, 2010 by Hilton in response to a notification of a silent protest sponsored by WAGE. Then-LGBTQ Program Coordinator David Gardner e-mailed department chairs last April, informing them about the upcoming Day of Silence, in order to let them know the event would be taking place and asked them to pass this information on to their departments.

Hilton responded that he would not forward the e-mail to his department as he disagreed with the protest.

Hilton declined to comment as of press time, citing a desire not to upset positive developments in other areas.

As of now, no administrative action has been taken publicly against Hilton.