Senate gives faculty member tribute

Paula Stuettgen will retire during the spring semester after more than 30 years at UW-Eau Claire, first as a student and then as an active advisor for many student organizations, campus events and member of numerous humanitarian efforts in the community, senior coordinator for assessment and special projects.

Stuettgen announced her retirement in August and said after looking at the numbers she decided it was time to start a new chapter in her life.

“It’s always hard to make a significant change but once you start you can’t stop,” she said. “For the last few years I’ve been working myself out of my job to make sure that everything was covered once I decided to leave.”

At the Student Senate meeting on Monday, a resolution was introduced in recognition of Paula Stuettgen’s service to UW-Eau Claire.

Student Senate Chief of Staff Sarah Tweedale said the Senate invited Stuettgen to the meeting under false pretenses in order to surprise her and show her their appreciation for all she has given to them and the campus.

“We usually do something like a ‘roast resolution’ for out-going senate presidents and faculty,” she said. “But for Paula it was more of a tribute of appreciation for her years of service and excellence exemplified at the university.”

After the resolution was presented, several student senators spoke about Stuettgen’s influential presence at UW-Eau Claire and how she has affected their experiences in campus organizations.

Senator Matt Sias said he got to know her through the Alpha Lamda Delta/Phi Eta Sigma honor society, which she is an advisor for, and knows she will be missed by the students.

“It was a surprise to me that she was retiring – I don’t imagine she will be able to stay away for long,” he said. “But I will miss seeing her around.”

Tweedale said even though she has not worked with Stuettgen personally, she has felt her presence on campus.

“It will definitely be hard for the university to replace such a dynamic person after all her years of service,” she said.

Stuettgen said it will be difficult for her to leave UW-Eau Claire but hopes to stay on as the advisor for a number of the organizations.

“I will miss the students but I hope to stay on as a resource advisor for as long as they’ll have me,” she said. “So that way I can still get my student fix.”