Plan for beach launch rescinded in favor of lookout point

The Water Street Business Improvement District (BID) has rescinded an initial proposal for a 5th Avenue Beach Launch and opted for a 5th Avenue River Lookout Point.

“They should set up a beach and stands to sell bottled water or rent out lockers. There are many great areas on Water (Street) for a beach,” senior Ryne Thornsen said.

The initial plan proposed beautification of the river along 5th Avenue, which included pathways to the water, a beach and an overlook. The initial design was intended to enhance the appeal of the river and draw people into the business district of Water Street, Lisa Aspenson, a member of the Water Street BID board, said. This design, however, was not supported by the Eau Claire City Police and Fire Department.

The Eau Claire City Police and Fire Department expressed concern for past incidents of accidental drowning in relation to overconsumption of alcohol. The departments stated they would not support a plan for a beach launch because they are the ones responsible for speaking to the parents of the college students who have fallen victim to the currents of the Chippewa River.

With the reputation that Water Street has gained as a ‘free-for-all’ drinking street and the excessive consumption of alcohol by college students, the BID board understands the concerns of the Eau Claire City Police and Fire Departments, Aspenson said.

“We do not want to invite people, who may be drunk, to enter the river,” she said.

In light of these concerns, BID has proposed a new development plan that will exclude a pathway to the water, and instead focus on planting new native tree species around the deck. The lookout point will be constructed as a deck-like structure with a railing and seating attached. The plan has been constructed to appeal to the community as a whole and will enhance the overall look and health of the riverbank. The construction of the lookout point will also aid the patrol of the Eau Claire City Police and Fire Department, Aspenson said.

“In talking to the police department; it is my understanding that they would support (the lookout point) because it provides them a view of the river at night to see if there is any activity and to patrol, which is something we welcome,” Aspenson said.

The new plan is not meant to deter people from using the river but is intended to provide more ways in which people can utilize it. On a street on which the focus may be the consumption of alcohol, the BID board hopes to highlight the business district of Water Street, rather than the bars.

The proposal for the lookout point will go before the Eau Claire Parks and Waterways Commission on March 26. It is anticipated that the plan will go directly to the city council and that construction will begin in early summer.