Student dies from head trauma after fall

Posted at 9:20 p.m. 3/18/10

Senior journalism major Kyle Joswiak, 22, of Inver Grove Heights, Minn., died Wednesday, March 17 from massive head trauma due to a fall.

According to an Eau Claire Police Department press release:

At approximately 2:20 a.m., officers responded to an apartment complex at 115 Niagara St. where they found Joswiak lying unresponsive in the parking lot. He was transported to Luther Hospital and pronounced dead at 5:30 p.m.

The police conducted an investigation and ruled that Joswiak’s death appeared to be accidental, which Eau Claire Chief Deputy Medical Examiner Joseph Nezworski confirmed. According to the release, he either climbed onto the safety rail and fell or attempted to jump over the rail to the parking lot below. There was one witness to the accident.

Medical reports revealed that alcohol was a factor in the death. Joswiak had a blood alcohol concentration of .257, which is more than three times the legal limit for intoxication.

Associate Dean of Students Jodi Thesing-Ritter called the death a tragic loss and said Joswiak was “clearly loved by many.” Thesing-Ritter, who visited the hospital after she was notified of the incident, said she joined many people — over 25 students and out of state family members — supporting Joswiak and hoping for his recovery.

“It was an incredibly emotional time . my heart is just really sad,” she said.

Thesing-Ritter also said the university is providing support by encouraging students affected by Joswiak’s death to contact Counseling Services and will share information about funeral services when they become available.