McIntyre Library offers innovative services

With students spending a great deal of time in the library, the people of McIntyre Library have implemented numerous changes to transform the building that houses shelves of books into an overall appealing destination for students.

“We know you spend time here and we want you to spend time here,” said John Pollitz, director of libraries at UW-Eau Claire. “We want to make it comfortable for students to be in the Library.”

This academic year’s innovations began in September when McIntyre Library collaborated with Crest Fitness Center and McPhee Strength and Performance Center to create the “Mind and Body Fitness Room.” Located adjacent to the second-floor breezeway (rooms L2025 and L2024), this space was created as a way to offer students, faculty and staff the opportunity to build a strong mind while building a strong body. It is equipped with stationary bikes, elliptical trainers and a recently added Stairmaster treadmill. The rooms operate on a first-come, first-serve basis and are available for students to use during library hours.

Also, a majority of the changes have come with the onset of the spring semester. In late January, McIntyre announced the trial-run of “Films on Demand.” The trial of this service ceased this past Monday (Feb. 22) but with a reasonably good response from faculty, McIntyre hopes to continue use of this service. A subscription to this service would provide university students, staff and faculty unlimited online access to films – of the documentary sort – in an array of academic categories.

“Films on Demand,” unlike YouTube, is a focused resource that works like the other databases on campus and provides more professional results – it offers the final product instead of the preliminary product, Pollitz said.

In early February, four new services were announced on the McIntyre Library Web site: the “Scholarly Recommendation Service,” the UW-Eau Claire Writing Center satellite station, the ability to rent required textbooks and the call number texting feature.

Senior Hanna Kaiser said she had no idea these resources were at her disposal.

“I don’t know what the ‘Scholarly Recommendation’ or the ‘Films on Demand’ services are. And I didn’t know there was a workout room. I did, however, know there was a satellite Writing Center, but I have not yet used it.”

According to the McIntyre Library Web site, the University of Wisconsin System libraries are running a trial through February of the “Scholarly Recommendation Service,” which provides researchers with scholarly resource suggestions based on their area of interest. This service functions in the same way as a “If You Liked This, You’ll Also Like .” option which will help students find additional relevant articles. The service may not continue, but through the end of this month students can use this service when performing a search of the library databases.

The library is here to help student’s research when writing papers . why not walk a few steps and be able to tune-up a paper while you’re here, Pollitz said.

“Now there is a way for the Writing Center and library to collaborate,” he said.

This collaboration is now providing students access to a University Writing Center satellite station that is located in the library, near the Reference Desk (L1024). Students are welcome to stop by for assistance on Monday and Wednesday nights, from 5 to 9 p.m.

Also in February came the announcement that McIntyre would be purchasing copies of all the books that are required readings for classes. With this service, the Library hopes to act as a “safety valve” for students who cannot afford textbooks, must obtain a text but are not required to read it in its’ entirety, or forget a textbook at home, Pollitz said. The books are available on Library Reserve and in an attempt to ensure that the books move from one student’s hands to another’s, the books can be checked out for three days at a time.

The latest of the innovations to be announced is a new catalog feature that allows students to text a title, call number and library location to their cell phone. Instead of scribbling this information onto a scrap of paper, students can now search the catalog in the usual manner and click the “Text this . to your cell phone” link to receive a text message with the necessary information for locating the library item.

“The call number texting is really convenient.,” said senior Ryne Thornsen. “It’s a lot easier than writing down 50-digit call numbers and then not being able to read my own handwriting by the time I get to the fifth floor.”

For more information on these services, visit the McIntyre Library Web site.