Regent bill veto may see override

One of Gov. Jim Doyle’s most recent vetoes has left some state lawmakers and UW students, especially those from northern Wisconsin, disappointed.

The Dec. 11 veto stalled the passage of Senate Bill 223, which would have required the governor to appoint at least one member to the UW System Board of Regents from each of seven regions across the state.

However, Doyle and other opponents argue that regents are responsible for making decisions that benefit the System as a whole, not to promote the interests of specific regions or campuses.

Student Body Vice President Amber Bretl said she was surprised by the veto because the bill had passed through the Legislature with a clear 59-34 majority in November. Bretl said she and Student Body President Michael Umhoefer immediately called Doyle’s office to voice their disappointment about the veto.

“We’re not pleased,” Bretl said, “especially because we’re the ones getting left out of the regional representation.”

For now, co-sponsor Rep. Jeff Smith (D-Eau Claire) said he and other legislators are gauging support for overriding the veto, which would require a 2/3 vote. He said he’s hopeful about securing enough votes by the end of this legislative session (and Doyle’s term), when there “isn’t any particular allegiance to the governor.”

“I’ve had a lot of members approach me with their disappointment,” Smith said, “including some who had voted against the bill, which gave me hope.”

Of the 18 regents, 12 live in the Madison or Milwaukee area, according to their bios on the board’s Web site. Twelve hold degrees from either UW-Madison or UW-Milwaukee. Seven regents hold degrees from other UW schools, including the two student regents, who represent UW-Platteville and Eau Claire.

The bill was introduced in the Senate in June by Sens. Julie Lassa (D-Stevens Point), Pat Kreitlow (D-Chippewa Falls) and Kathleen Vinehout (D-Alma), as well as four others.

The System itself has maintained a “neutral stance,” stating that, “The Legislature and the Governor have the prerogative to determine the appointment process and membership of the Board of Regents,” according to its Web site.

In his Dec. 11 letter to the Senate, Doyle disputes the bill’s claim that some campuses, such as Eau Claire, don’t receive equal consideration under the board’s current makeup.

However, Bretl said the imbalance is critical, especially when regents from two primary areas make important decisions that affect all 26 campuses within the System.

“If you’re from those areas, I think you’re going to naturally have those schools in your thoughts when you’re making decisions,” Bretl said. “(The bill) is not meant to hinder the process, but help it.”

The United Council of UW Students, a statewide student association, is a strong proponent of the bill and continues to lobby for its approval, said senior Ben Klingenberg, vice president of the council.

“We definitely want to do anything we can to get it back on the plate and get it passed,” Klingenberg said.

Klingenberg said United Council is committed to achieving better statewide representation on the Board of Regents, as well as encouraging students to take a more active role in System politics.

Part of the bill’s appeal is that students would be more active with easier access to regents from the same area, Klingenberg said.

For example, Bretl and Klingenberg said most students are more comfortable approaching Student Regent Aaron Wingad than their “buddy,” Regent Mark Bradley of Wausau. As a buddy, Bradley is responsible for acting as an advocate on behalf of the Eau Claire and other campuses.

But even if an override isn’t possible, Smith said the fight for more equal representation is not over.

“We will continue, under the current system, to recommend candidates for the governor for the next appointments,” Smith said, “so hopefully we’ll still have an opportunity to be represented.”