Senate to host concert

In a unanimous vote at Student Senate’s executive board meeting Monday night, Student Senate decided to co-sponsor a student engagement concert this weekend with the Resident Hall Association, said vice-president Amber Bretl.

Executive board includes Student Senate Body president, vice-president and commission directors, she said.

The concert will feature “We the Living” and will begin at 8 p.m. on Sunday in Schofield Hall auditorium, said Activities and Programs chair of RHA Elle McGee.

McGee said the band contacted her about playing at the university and she said she thought it would be good to contact Student Senate about the event, she said.

“I thought it would be cool to co-sponsor with Student Senate and provide a free concert for the students,” she said.

The concert costs $500 dollars, and Student Senate will split the cost with RHA, Bretl said, which will make tickets free for students. The funds for the concert will come from the Student Senate foundation account, which comes from donations from Senate alumni and others said Student Senate advisor Jodi Thesing-Ritter.

McGee said that Student Senate will have a booth outside of the concert and We the Living will be selling merchandise after the show.

Thesing -Ritter said there will be comment cards for student feedback about Senate and the residence halls, among other organizations.

“I think it’s a great idea,” she said about the concert. “It’s a good way to go to the students to get information at a time when they’re a captive audience.”