Campus invites students to spring organization bash

This Wednesday, students will get their second chance this school year to see many of the clubs and organizations UW-Eau Claire has to offer.

From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., students can attend the annual Spring Blugold Organizations Bash in the Council Fire Room in Davies Center.

Angie Bong, coordinator of student leadership and organizations activities and programs, said there will be at least 100 total groups represented at the event.

Junior Adam Walker said he is looking forward to the event.

“I think it’s great that there are so many different types of things to check out,” Walker said. “It sounds like there should be something for everybody.”

Bong said the event’s benefits could be considered twofold.

“For the general student population it’s a great opportunity for them to explore the experiences and opportunities available on campus and hopefully find something that they connect with and can enjoy,” Bong said.

BOB also helps the organizations in several ways.

“It’s for student organizations to allow them to find potential new members,” Bong said, “and to promote their organization and theactivities that they do, or the causes that they advocate.”

No commitment is required by students for attending the event, but if they see something they are interested in, the organizations are usually prepared.

“Many of the organizations have sign-up sheets at their tables so interested students can start receiving information,” Bong said.

Walker said he was glad he wouldn’t have to feel any pressure from the groups.

“It’s nice that you can just walk around and see if there is anything you like,” Walker said. “If you were forced to make a commitment, it could be a tense environment.”

New things at this semester’s BOB include attempting to bring more student organizations on campus to the event.

“Student Radio Initiative (SRI) will be DJing the event,” Bong said. “There will also be a few student groups who will be doing performances or demonstrations to show off what they do.”

Another new aspect this semester are fundraising efforts to help benefit the student organizations. Students can buy pizza by the slice for $1.50.

Students can also enter a raffle with all proceeds benefiting the organizations. Four students will win lunch with Chancellor Brian Levin-Stankevich and one will win a Blugold sweatshirt.