Community supports AIDS walk

On Sunday, two coach buses will take a group of high school and college students from Eau Claire to Madison to participate in AIDS Walk Wisconsin.

The event is designed to support the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin, director of volunteer services for the Eau Claire office, Richard Marano said. The AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin accepts funds to help in AIDS prevention, case managment and early intervention.

“Hopefully, people going to this can get further inspired, maybe become a volunteer of ours,” Marano said. “Maybe they’ll get inspired to go out and get tested.”

The walk will place at Olin-Turville Park in Madison at 10 a.m. Marano said two coach buses will be available for students who want to take part in the walk. The bus will leave from the ARCW’s Eau Claire office, 505 S. Dewey St., at 7:30 a.m.

Marano said that two Eau Claire restaurants donated food for the trip to and from Madison. Hoepner’s Bakery, 805 S. Hastings Way, donated donuts for the ride down and the Acoustic Caf‚, 505 S. Barstow St., provided sandwiches for the ride back.

Marano said on Tuesday that he expects to come close to filling the capacity for the buses.

Junior Amy Bennett is one of the students signed up to go.

She got the idea to go when Marano visited her social work class this year.

“It seems like a really good idea,” Bennett said. “It’s been really fun trying to collect money for pledges.” Bennett said she and three of her friends raised more than $200 in pledges.

The AIDS Walk will cover 10 kilometers, or 6.2 miles. Walkers can walk the entire distance, none of it or anything in between. People can raise as much or as little money as they want, he said, and everything raised in the Eau Claire area stays and benefits those in that area.