Child born in Oak Ridge dies

Anna Nelson

The daughter born to Karen Marie Hubbard in Oak Ridge Hall Tuesday night died Sunday at 12:07 p.m. at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Marshfield.

Carla David, spokeswoman for St. Joseph’s Hospital said that the family requested that no further information regarding the child’s death be given.

Karen Hubbard’s parents were making all medical decisions and named the 9 pound 2 ounce girl, Julienna Marie Hubbard.

According to authorities, a man, claiming to be the child’s father, came forward Friday.

The name of the man claiming to be the child’s father is not being released.

An autopsy report determined that Karen Hubbard’s death was due to complications from birth resulting in excessive bleeding, said Eau Claire County Medical Examiner John Folstad.

Karen Hubbbard’s roommate and longtime friend, told authorities she did not know her friend was pregnant and believes Hubbard herself may not have known.

Dr. Erik Dovre, an obstetrician in Eau Claire, said excessive bleeding occurs in about 5 percent of births. Death from excessive bleeding can happen in less than three or four minutes without medical intervention, Dovre said.

Funeral services for Karen will be at 10:30 a.m. today at Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Owen. Burial will be in the Riverside Cemetery in Withee.

Funeral arrangements for Julienna Hubbard have not yet been announced.

A memorial Mass also will be held at noon Wednesday, at the Ecumenical Religious Center.

Hubbard was born Nov. 26, 1982, in Stanley, the daughter of Robert and Carol (Gutowski) Hubbard. She attended Holy Rosary Catholic School and was a 2001 graduate of Owen-Withee High School. She was co-valedictorian of her high school class.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.