More upperclassmen will be required to have PACs to register

Students in academic jeopardy with 60 or more credits will soon be required to get a personal advising code before they can register.

At Monday’s Senate meeting, the Senate’s resolution requiring the PAC passed unanimously.

Last January, during their review of appeals of suspended students, the Retention Committee of the College of Arts and Sciences advanced a proposal required juniors and seniors who are on academic warning or probation to have a PAC to register.

Wilma J. Clark, Interim Associate Dean in the College of Arts & Sciences, introduced the proposal to Student Senate Academic Affairs Commission Director Andrea Michalski in September.

Clark said she introduced the proposal to Michalski to get a response from students.

“So far nobody that I have consulted with has been against the idea,” Clark said. “I feel very encouraged by the students’ vote.”

For the plan to be effective, Clark said students will be required to schedule their advising meeting in a timely way. Clark said the faculty also will be required to take the time and be alert when juniors and seniors come for their meeting, so they are advised and not just given their PAC code.

“It’ll be important for advisers to look at the warning signs of students,” Michalski said. According to the Senate’s resolution, there are 290 students who have 60 or more credits who are on academic warning, academic probation or academic probation after suspension.

The plan will hopefully take effect by March or April, when registration for fall beings, Clark said.