University offers therapeutic exercise

Now there’s something else to do on Wednesday nights other than going to church or watching “Dawson’s Creek.”

University Recreation is offering Wednesday night Chinese 18 postures, tai-chi and yoga classes. All classes are available to students, faculty, staff and community residents for a fee.

The activities are very similar, but they differ in some key aspects.

“They are more similar than different,” Vicki Reed, associate director of University Recreation, said. “They have different movements and take different skills.”

University recreation has offered these exercise programs on and off for the past five years.

“We’ve had tai-chi for about four years,” Reed said.

“We’ve been offering yoga on and off for five years, and this is the second year we’ve offered the 18 postures.”

Chinese 18 Postures

Diane Omtvedt, licensed acupuncturist and nurse practitioner, will be teaching Chinese 18 postures. This class includes gentle stretching and breathing techniques in effort to resolve and avoid stiffness, strengthen and lubricate joints and improve posture and balance.

The 18 postures are designed to be practiced about 20 minutes per day.

The class will meet from 5 to 6 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 26-Oct. 24 in room 106 of McPhee. The course is open to students, faculty and staff and the community.

The cost is $20 for students and $35 for faculty, staff and community residents.

Tai-Chi

Tai-chi challenges the “players” (tai-chi participants) mentally and physically.

Mentally, the players are challenged to sharpen their concentration and memory. Physically, participants can expect increased flexibility, improved functioning of internal organs, increased blood circulation and strengthening of the bones.

The course will be taught by Samantha Hansen, who is a registered nurse and a certified health and wellness counselor.

This class is offered from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 26-Oct. 24. Classes will meet in the McPhee Dance Studio.

The course fee is $25 for students, and $40 for faculty, staff and community residents.

Yoga

This yoga class offers a three-in-one approach focusing on the body, mind and spirit. The class is a blend of traditional hatha yoga postures, breathing focus and accessing the acupressure points.

The class also will be taught by Hansen.

The course will be offered from 5 to 6:15 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 26-Oct. 24, in the McPhee Dance Studio.

The course fee is $22 for students, and $37 for faculty, staff and community residents.

For more information contact Reed at 836-4931.