Mowry new interim director of service-learning

Anna Nelson

An assistant professor in the social work department was named interim director of the Center for Service-Learning.

This past August, Don Mowry, who is also director of internship and field education in the Department of Social Work, replaced Bob Burns, the former director of service-learning.

Mowry received a doctorate in Social Work from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a Certificate in Development of Community Service from Metropolitan State College in Denver, Colo.

Mowry has a lot of experience in the area of service. He has been an Eau Claire Area Hmong Mutual Assistance Association board member, president of Advocates for Multicultural Education and a mentor for an immigrant Hmong family, he said.

In addition to this, Mowry has published some pieces in the Journal of Community Practice: Organizing, Planning, Development & Change. They were titled “Interprofessional Relationships in Undergraduate Professional Education,” “A Showcase Model Program in Community-Campus partnerships for Health: A Guide for Developing Community-Responsive Models in Health Professions Education” and “Mentoring the Hmong: A Practice Outlet for Teaching Faculty and a Possible Community Development Tool.”

“I am confident that Don will do an outstanding job in leading the Center for Service-Learning during the 2001-02 academic year,” Provost Steve Tallant said. “Don has taught at UWEC since 1988, and his work with the Network for Excellence in Teaching has given him considerable visibility on campus just as his work with community agencies has given him visibility in our region.”

Mowry’s position, which began on Aug. 1, is set to run until the end of the academic year. Tallant said he will start searching for someone later in the school year to fill the service-learning position permanently.

The Center for Service-Learning is located on the first floor of Schneider Hall next to the Orientation and First Year Experience office.

Tallant hopes this office set-up will allow Mowry, who also has been an orientation advisor and a first year experience instructor, and Jason Tetzloff, interim director of orientation and first year experience, to mentor each other in their new positions. Tetzloff also has service-learning experience.