Referendum to decide if Eau Claire remains member of United Council

In addition to the candidates on the ballot for the Student Senate election Monday through Thursday, a referendum regarding UW-Eau Claire’s affiliation with United Council also will be included.

United Council is a student lobbying and research group based in Madison. It currently represents more than 20 campuses and 140,000 students in Wisconsin, including Eau Claire. Each UW campus is required to hold a referendum every two years to vote on United Council membership.

A mandatory refundable fee of $1.35 is charged to each Eau Claire student per semester for membership in the organization. The referendum must come up for consideration at least once every two years.

“We try to get out to the campuses as much as possible,” said Bill Keeton, Academic Affairs director of United Council. “This week just worked out.”

Keeton graduated from Eau Claire last year and was involved with United Council while in Student Senate at the university. He said the experience of working full-time at the eight-member United Council has been everything he expected, and then some.

“It’s been a really positive experience,” he said.

The transition, as he put it, was a “move from being a part-time student government person to a more than full-time student government person.”

Keeton spoke to the Student Senate at its regular weekly meeting Monday. He outlined the benefits of United Council and how it helps students. He said the organization lobbies, offers advice, provides networking with its assemblies and provides leadership development.

Most public schools and universities in Wisconsin are members of United Council, but UW-Stout recently ended its affiliation with the organization.

“It happens once in a while,” Keeton said of a university cutting its relationship with the Council.

He said because it represents so many campuses and students, occasionally views clash and campuses decide to part ways.

“But if you ask me, `Were we disappointed and sad?’ Yes,” Keeton said.

Eau Claire Senate President Justin Hentges said Stout’s decision against remaining with United Council was “foolhardy” because the organization represents students and Stout pulled out of the organization mostly for personal reasons.

Several candidates at the presidential and vice presidential debate Wednesday also spoke positively of United Council and how Eau Claire could become even more involved with the organization.

However, Keeton said he respects Stout’s decision, adding that United Council lets “the campuses be as autonomous as possible.”

One of the biggest concerns for United Council is the 2001-2003 budget Gov. Scott McCallum proposed Feb. 20. The proposed increase for the UW System was 1.6 percent, much less than the 3.7 percent increase the Board of Regents requested.

Keeton described his reaction to the budget as “knee-jerk,” and said it’s important to get the word to students about how important it is to speak out on the issue.

He said the joint committee on finance will travel around the state, and it will be key to organize students to go to the meetings and speak on behalf of the UW System.

“It’s best to effect positive change that way,” Keeton said.