Dinner to aid disaster survivors

Friday is an opportunity for students to make a big difference for a small price.

From 6 to 8 p.m., UW-Eau Claire’s India Abroad Association will host a fund-raising dinner with the proceeds going to help victims of the earthquake that occurred in Gujarat, India on Jan. 26.

The cost of the event is $20 per person and includes an authentic cuisine buffet, a speaker and a musical performance dedicated to the disaster.

The disaster left 17,000 people dead and 150,000 injured. The damage was extensive and the victims are in desperate need of immediate shelter, food, clothing and medicine.

Those who participate in the fund-raising dinner are welcome to contribute any amount of money.

The India Abroad Association is made of only four members. These members are from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.

After hearing of the earthquake, the group wanted to do something to help. When its organization’s adviser, Veena Chadha, associate professor of mathematics, suggested a bake sale, the students decided that wouldn’t be enough.

“We knew (the dinner) would be double the effort, but the end result would be worth it,” said Avisha Nair, an IAA member and coordinator of the dinner.

The determination of the four members has been driven by personal incentive.

“This event is very important to me,” said senior Amitabh Tibrewal, an IAA member.

She said it’s a good cause because it provides help to people who are distressed.

“(Through the fund-raiser) we are showing we care,” Tibrewal said.

The IAA was established in 1991 and is involved with various events and activities. This includes the International Folk Fair held every fall and the October Festival of Lights, a celebration of the new year for the Hindu community.

Through the fund-raising dinner, the IAA hopes to help the earthquake victims by raising money for sufficient supplies.

“It is important,” Nair said. “Two-thousand dollars makes a home for a family.”

The dinner will be held in the Tamarack Room of Davies Center and the dress will be casual except for the IAA members, who will be wearing Indian apparel.

Students, staff and the entire community are invited.

Reservations are encouraged, but anyone can come and purchase tickets at the event, Tibrewal said.

Tickets are available at the Center for International Education in Schofield 111.