Chancellor’s office closes campus for second time due to weather

When history lecturer Oscar Chamberlain heard that the university would be closing at 4 p.m. last Monday due to weather conditions, he had one thought in his head.

Not again.

Chamberlain teaches History 202 from 5 to 7:45 p.m. on Monday nights. The cancellation marked the second time Chamberlain lost class time because of snowfall. The chancellor’s office previously cancelled classes on another Monday, Jan. 29, also due to weather conditions.

The Chippewa Valley received several inches of heavy, wet snow Monday, cancelling classes at many Eau Claire area schools as well.

Because of the cancellations, there have been a few teaching obstacles, Chamberlain said, adding this is especially true for a once-a-week class.

“It really keeps you from getting a rhythm going,” he said. “That can make it hard to communicate.”

With an assignment due on Monday and an exam the next time the class would meet, the cancellation especially was hard to handle, Chamberlain said.

Two factors played an important part in the decision to cancel classes, Chancellor Donald Mash said.

Classes were cancelled after 4 p.m. because these are the classes many students drive to the university for, Mash said.

“You have to weigh the safety matter,” he said. “That’s something we take into account very strongly.”

The second factor involved removal of the snow.

The parking lots were a mess, Mash said. The administration wanted to give the work crews the opportunity to clean the lots so the campus would be ready for the next day, he said.

Before this semester, many officials could not remember the last time classes had been cancelled. Although two cancellations have been made this year, Mash said the university has not changed its policy.

“(Cancelling classes) is not something I take very lightly,” he said. “People usually have to convince me.”

Mash said circumstances such as the severity of the weather of an ice storm that cancelled classes in January, are why students and faculty have seen more cancellations this semester.

Despite the inconvenience, Chamberlain said he has found ways to get over these obstacles that come with a cancelled class.

With a message posted on Blackboard, one of the university’s Web technology systems, students were notified of lesson plans for the next class and details about the upcoming exam.

But Chamberlain said he hasn’t gotten the chance to elaborate and make certain topics clearer in class.

“That will hurt students in the end,” Chamberlain said. “If it doesn’t, then I’m getting paid too much.”