Career Week features session for students choosing majors

With registration approaching, many students find themselves taking a closer look at what they want to do after graduation, and for some, what they want to major in.

Career Services has found a way to assist students in making career decisions and to prepare them for the professional world with Career Week Monday through April 6.

“We’ve tried to put together a wide variety of workshops that meet the needs of all students,” said Derek Solheim, a career counselor at UW-Eau Claire.

Solheim said that career week will have workshops for students to learn about securing a summer job, creating an internship search, writing resumes and letters to employers and picking a graduate school.

A highlight of the week will be mock interviews put on by the Eau Claire Noon Rotary Club, Solheim said. The interviews will be scheduled from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Ho-Chunk Room in Davies Center.

“The mock interview is a great opportunity for students to test-drive the whole interview process in a safe, non-threatening environment,” Solheim said.

Mary Knight, board member of the Rotary Club, said the rotary club will be providing business people from all walks of life, so students interested in everything from engineering to banking should have someone who can give them tips for their field.

“We are pleased to be partners with the Career Services department and we will do our best to prepare students for their interviews and upcoming careers,” Knight said.

Solheim encouraged students to attend the Career Exploration Workshops, which use a program called Sigi Plus.

Sigi Plus allows users to do a personal assessment of their skills to see what careers match their interests and talents. It also allows users who may be trying to decide between two career choices to compare their choices.

The program gives estimated salaries, work availability and job duties to help users see the differences among their choices.

Sigi Plus can be accessed at www.uwec.edu/career.

Aside from Career Week, Career Services, located on the second floor of Schofield, is always available to guide students. Walk-in hours are from 1 to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.

On Wednesdays, Career Services is open for appointments until 7 p.m. for students who are busy during the day.

Free resume and letter writing workshops are scheduled by Career Services from 12 to 1 p.m. on Tuesday in the Arrowhead Room in Davies Center, from 3 to 4 p.m. April 12 in Career Services and from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. April 18 in the career resource lab.