Bill for election review passes

As expected, Student Senate passed a bill calling for the formation of an Elections and Campaign Procedures Review Committee during its weekly meeting Monday night.

Senate President Justin Hentges stepped down for the bill’s introduction. He is one of five people who introduced the bill.

The bill calls for the committee to complete an overall review of the election and campaign process. It also requires attention to specific areas of the processes that were interpreted differently by tickets during the most recent election.

When introducing the bill, Hentges noted the four grievances filed during the March campaigns and election, and that many of them stemmed from the rules. The rules haven’t been completely reviewed since 1997.

“To be honest with you, it was a big pain in my rear,” said Hentges, who was a member of the Elections Grievance Committee.

The bill calls for close examination of several rules: the placement of bridge signs, the placement of posters, the use of the Student Senate name, the use of rooms in Davies Center for campaign purposes and the use of e-mails for campaign purposes.

There was brief discussion about the bill, with most senators in support of it. Senator Laura Lambert expressed concern that the bill didn’t call for an at-large member on the committee, and said that’s an issue she would like to see dealt with. Lambert abstained from voting, but the rest of Senate voted in favor of the bill.

The committee will be formed at Monday’s meeting and will consist of a member of the 44th and 45th session Executive Boards, a member of the Election and Campaign Procedure Grievance Committee and an on- and off-campus senator.

Its recommendations are to be presented to Senate by April 30.