Student Senate begins 45th session with storm

The regularly scheduled Student Senate meeting was postponed because of Monday’s snowstorm, so the first meeting of the 45th session instead was held Wednesday evening.

Senate President Justin Hentges said he decided to postpone the meeting because the university had canceled classes after 4 p.m. on Monday, and it was anticipated that the storm was going to carry on into the evening.

The rescheduled meeting was the first meeting for several new senators who are in the process of learning about Senate’s operations.

Hentges explained how each senator is required to join at least one commission and at least one administrative committee. He also noted the importance of attendance at Senate meetings and of keeping a weekly office hour.

“What you get out of your experience at Senate is directly related to what you put into it,” he said.

Hentges and Vice President Erin Brandt remain in their positions until April 2, when the newly-elected leaders Andrew Oettinger and Kelly Witkowski are scheduled to take over.

Hentges related the process to that of a ship coming into port, and that the captain will help train in the new shipmates before leaving.

Welcomes and encouragement for new senators to be active in the student government process were prevalent during the brief meeting.