Breast cancer, brother’s drug addiction or another crisis: Liza Vann shows no fear

Matthew Resenhoeft

As the seventh child in a family of 12, Liza Vann sees herself at the top of the bottom half.

She attributes her knowledge and experiences to her place in the family. Because she was one of the only children in her family to live with everyone, she said she saw the family from the center.

“And from the center, I saw each and every crisis,” Vann said. “I am the eye in the hurricane of twelve.”

Vann presented her one-act play, “The Top of the Bottom Half,” as a part of the Forum series Tuesday night in Schofield Auditorium.

Vann, an independent film producer and actress, began her show with background of her life growing up in North Carolina. After her experiences with a brother’s drug problem and a battle with breast cancer, Vann was convinced by a friend eight years ago to write about them.

Vann does about 10 shows a year, including board meetings and medical conventions. But she said she was drawn immediately to working with students because the stories she tells in her show relate to all facets of people’s lives.

Sophomore Jessica McDaniel hosted the show and introduced professor of nursing, Susan Moch. McDaniel, a nursing major, has worked collaboratively with Moch on a research project studying women with breast cancer.

“I know (Vann) will prove to be a remarkable teacher tonight,” said Moch, who introducing the featured speaker.

Vann refers to her fully-scripted play as a “crossover piece” about critical thinking framed on 17 rules.

“It’s not just about breast cancer, it’s about choices,” Vann said in an advertisement for the show.

“I am the keeper of all knowledge,” Vann said, as she opened the show. “I am the meanest woman on the planet.”

Vann gave simple rules to live by such as you are the only one at the table, everyone else comes and goes; know what you know and know what you don’t know; save screwing up for the things that don’t count and pick your battles.

Vann demonstrated her examples with stories about her experiences with “the dirty dozen.” Vann referred to herself as a “baby sitter of the world” who had additional responsibilities when a brother locked himself in the bathroom with the water running and another brother was hit in the face with a golf club.

Everybody can make good decisions, Vann said, but it takes common sense and logical thinking.

“You don’t have to make the mistake to learn the lesson,” she said. “Don’t look for the bad things; they’ll find you.”

Vann’s perspective on breast cancer and doctors emphasizes her rules to live by.

“No matter what’s on the plate,” Vann said, “you’re gonna have to say your blessing and eat it.”

She said that explains you and makes you different, but it becomes the wrong thing when you use it as an excuse.

Her perspective on her experience with breast cancer sent gasps throughout the audience. Vann said she never had any fear for the disease and called it annoying instead of frightening.

She said, “I know without a doubt, I gave it the best shot I had.”