3M money covers exam costs

Becoming certified in Production Inventory Management is now a little easier on the pocketbook of UW-Eau Claire business majors.
3M gave the business department $5,000, last fall. Theresa Wells and assistant professor Timothy Vaughan were given the choice of how to use the money.
Vaughan and Wells decided to use the money from 3M to help Operations Material Management majors become CPIM certified, Wells said.
“If they can help us,” Vaughan said. “We can help them.”
The professional world really values getting certified and this will help students, he said.
To graduate with the degree, students must first pass a Basics of Supply Chain Management exam. UW-Eau Claire requires they pass at least one exam beyond the Basics exam.
There are four other exams students can choose from that emphasize different areas, Vaughan said. Eau Claire will pay for the cost of one exam beyond the Basics exam with this money, he said.
Before the department will pay for the exam, students who have declared an Operations Material Management major have to meet some requirements. This includes passing the exam after the initial Basics exam.
The money will get students started in becoming certified, Wells said. Students will get a better salary if they are certified, but they have to pass all four exams beyond the Basics exam.