Viennese dance lessons being offered

Dance lessons for the Viennese Ball in April at Davies Center are being offered to people of all ages and levels of dance experience.

The lessons will be held every Tuesday and Thursday starting March 29, and conclude the evening before the ball.

Beginners’ lessons will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. and intermediate lessons will be from 7:30 to 9 p.m.

The beginners’ lessons will teach dances that are not too fast, said dance instructor Ida Hinz. This includes the slow waltz, fox trot, rumba and more.

This will be Hinz’s 27th year teaching dance lessons for the Viennese Ball, and she encourages those who are interested to sign up in advance. The costs of the tickets are $20 and $10 for students.

Instructors Dave and Karen Goggin, of the intermediate lessons, will teach the waltz, tango, fox trot, cha-cha and the rumba, as well as the Viennese waltz.

“(The lessons) attract quite an array of people,” Dave said. “With the resurgence of swing, younger people have become more interested.”

Dave has taught dance for 12 years and dance lessons for the Viennese Ball since 1994.

“The Viennese Ball is the highlight of the year,” Dave said.

The lessons will be held in the Tamarack Room on the second floor in Davies. Tickets can be purchased at the University Service Center.

The ball is scheduled for the evenings of April 20 and 21 on the second floor of Davies Center.

The social event highlights the university’s Music and Theatre Arts department by showcasing groups such as the University Symphony Orchestra, The Singing Statesmen, Jazz Ensemble I and the Women’s Concert Chorale.