University to offer online courses again this summer

The university is again offering Web-based courses to students looking to take care of a few credits without staying in Eau Claire this summer.

The pilot program of entirely online courses was successful last summer, said Janice Morse, administrative officer for academic affairs.

“We want to comply to students who have to work or be away from the institution during the summer,” she said.

Registration for online courses and regular summer session courses began today. The three-week summer session will run from May 21 to June 8, and the eight-week session will run from June 11 to Aug. 3.

“We’re always looking to meet the needs of students,” Morse said. “Some students need to go home and work during the summer.”

About 17 Web-based courses will be offered this summer, Morse said. These courses can be taken from a student’s home or someplace like a library.

“Basically wherever they have computer access,” Morse said.

Assignments, tests, quizzes and notes for the classes will all be available over the Internet.

Web-based courses are offered in a variety of subjects, including history, psychology and nursing. The courses are picked for the Web based on faculty recommendations.

Payment for summer session tuition can be accepted in person, over the phone or by mail. Tuition also can be paid for by using some credit cards.

Morse said the credit card program is being tried because it offers a convenience to students.

“It’s possible for someone to take a class this summer and never set foot on campus,” Morse said.

Morse said sending an e-mail with credit card numbers to be used for payment is not recommended because of security issues.

Along with the Web courses, over 200 regular classes will be offered at the university.

Senior Chris Krebsbach said he plans to register today for a nursing class during the summer session.

He’s not expecting to have any problems getting the summer class he needs and is grateful for the chance to take care of some credits

“It’s a good chance to tie up loose ends,” he said.

Krebsbach said he considered taking a Web-based course last summer, but didn’t because his plans changed. He said he thinks Web-based classes are good for those students who want to take them.

Krebsbach said, “I think it all depends on how tough you think the class will be for you.”