The Club gets a new look

The Club, formerly known as Sneakers, has taken on a new name and a new image.

The new name is Higher Ground, a change effective since the beginning of the semester.

During the last couple semesters the club had been making a lot of changes, and the employees thought it needed a new name to represent it better, said junior Matt Simmons, assistant manager of Higher Ground.

“People were tired of the name,” Simmons said. “It didn’t represent the space.”

One of the changes Higher Ground has made is extending its hours during the weekdays to be open from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. It also has added a pool table, foosball tables and Web browsers.

On weekends, the club has karaoke, singled out and specialty nights with live bands. They also plan to add flavored coffee and pizza to the menu, Simmons said.

“We want it to be a place where people can hang out and have fun,” Simmons said.

Higher Ground is a place where people can eat or do homework during the week, Simmons said, and it’s a place to let loose during the weekend.

“They have made a lot of improvements since I was there when I was a freshman,” junior Jessica Young said. “The computer area is a nice place to study in the afternoon, and once coffee is available it will be the ideal place to relax and hang out.”

On Feb. 8 Higher Ground plans to have an acoustic round robin night so students can listen to people play guitars, and Feb. 9 the club plans to have a specialty DJ, Simmons said.

The restaurant is open Monday through Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.