Summer jobs add to resume

Students staying in Eau Claire this summer and wanting to work outside might consider working for Eau Claire’s Parks and Recreation Department.

Starting in June the department will provide several jobs working with children as coaches and mentors. Opportunities may include being a lifeguard, a sports instructor, or an umpire, plus many more.

There are a variety of hours, depending on the job, which would be beneficial to students taking summer classes or working other jobs, said Mary Hanson, the superintendent of Recreation.

“This year we have revised our pay scale and we feel our wages will be very competitive,” Hanson said.

In addition to the pay, there are a variety of other benefits.

Work will be done outside and in a team-like environment. The extra training and experience that could be beneficial for any education, coaching or sociology majors is important to students, Hanson said.

Also, a job with the department will be a positive addition to resumes.

“Being a good reference is part of our job,” Hanson said.

The Parks and Recreation Department is looking for well-qualified applicants who will be available from June 11 through August 8.

Qualifications necessary are training and background history in certain positions. The most important quality, however, is the ability to work with people, especially children.

“The Parks and Recreation Department is a people service agency,” Hanson said.

Stu Taylor, a program supervisor for the Parks and Recreation Department, said he always is looking for students interested in working with the youth baseball program.

“It’s an excellent job for anybody who is looking at working with kids during their lifetime,” he said.

Taylor hires a baseball director to oversee programs for the boys and girls youth leagues for ages 5 through 12.

The director should have managerial experience, knowledge and experience with baseball, Taylor said. The director hires about eight to 10 instructors and assistant instructors for on-the-field coaching.

Student coaches really make an impact on the kids, Taylor said.

“They really look up to them,” he said.

The department will be accepting applications until March 16, or until all positions are filled. More details and a complete listing of the jobs are available at the Parks and Recreation Department.