BOB nine-year membership recruitment fair expects success

The Blugold Organization Bash, a member recruitment fair for student organizations, is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Council Fire Room of Davies Center.

More than 170 organizations on campus are scheduled to set up booths, hand out information and talk about their organization.

The BOB will give students an opportunity to learn about as many organizations as desired.

This semester the Activities and Programs Office is planning some new additions to the BOB.

One of the additions is the opportunity for students to get a tour of the Students Organizations Complex, where many organizations have their office space.

They also plan to have Student Radio Initiative broadcasting music there and sumo wrestling for organization and prospective members.

“The BOB is beneficial for students because it is a way for them to get exposed to what’s going on on campus outside of the classroom,” said Paul Butrymowicz, coordinator for student leadership and organizations.

Butrymowicz also said that joining student organizations is a way for students to enhance what they are learning in the classroom. And it is a good way to meet other people and develop friendships.

“It’s beneficial for us to be out there,” said senior Jennifer Anderson, president of the Model United Nations Club. Anderson said about half of their membership every year is due to the BOB.

Anderson said the BOB is nice for students because it is informal and students can learn about different organizations in more detail than their catalog can give them. The Model United Nations Club, like many others, provides fliers, pictures and candy for potential members.

The nine-year tradition has had an excellent turnout, said Butrymowicz, adding that there are usually between 350 to 500 students and staff members who attend the BOB each semester.

Tours of the Student Organizations Complex are scheduled from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. in Davies Center 132.