Former graduate named director of alumni relations

A 1981 graduate of UW-Eau Claire, John Bachmeier, has been named the university’s director of alumni relations.

Bachmeier is expected to replace former Alumni Relations Director Suzanne Slota on Feb. 5.

As director of alumni relations, Bachmeier said he will be setting up opportunities for the chancellor and other university officers to meet with alumni. Bachmeier will coordinate and evaluate all aspects of alumni activities at the university, including planning meetings and functions for alumni to encourage their involvement with the university.

“I am a graduate and I still have a love for the university,” said Bachmeier. “I’m looking forward to working with people who share the same passion for the university.”

“We look forward to working with John as the alumni director here at Eau Claire,” said Carole Halberg, president of the UW-Eau Claire Foundation, in a news release. “It’s always good to welcome a Blugold back home. He’s been a great innovator and organizer for his current employer, has deep knowledge of the region and the state and is enthused about leading the Alumni Association and serving our 55,000 alumni.”

Bachmeier previously worked as manager of the community giving, educational, and customer training services programs at Northern States Power Co., now Xcel Energy, in Eau Claire. While managing at NSP, Bachmeier directed educational programs that taught safety demonstrations, gave plant tours and gave career talks to more than 500 schools in Wisconsin and Upper Michigan.

Bachmeier also served on the Cray Academy board of directors and the Eau Claire Chamber of Commerce Excellence in Education Committee.

Bachmeier wants to continue his success at UW-Eau Claire. He says that the existing alumni program is strong and that he wants to build on that and further strengthen opportunities for alumni.

The Alumni Association largely takes part in the organization of the Homecoming events, including the parade and activities before and after the football games.