Men’s Tennis team pulls out one victory in weekend filled with tough competition

Blugolds compete with three opponents over weekend but only can manage one victory

Junior+Kyle+Hoffman+and+doubles+partner+Andrew+Dahl+won+four+games+last+weekend.+

Photo by SUBMITTED

Junior Kyle Hoffman and doubles partner Andrew Dahl won four games last weekend.

Story by Trent Tetzlaff, Copy Editor

The Blugold mens tennis team took home one out of three matches over the weekend on a trip to Minnesota to play Gustavus Adolphus, St. Cloud St. and Macalester college.

In their first match Saturday, took on No. 14 Gustavus Adolphus, but took one on the chin 9-0.

In number four singles, sophomore Michael Mauthe led the Blugolds, winning his second set and forcing the match into a tie breaker before falling 6-0, 2-6, 10-2.

In doubles action, the Blugolds were in tight matches but couldn’t pull them out.

Freshman Andrew Dahl and junior Kyle Hoffman won four games at number one doubles, meanwhile sophomore Will Weyenberg and freshman Andrew Rust matched that mark at number two doubles with both 8-4 loses.

However, Sunday fared much better for the Blugolds as they went 1-1.

In the first match of the day, the Blugolds fell to St. Cloud, 7-2 with sophomore Conrad Felten and Dahl notching the lone wins early on.

But the Blugolds were able to pull out their final match of the weekend with a 6-3 win over Macalester.

Felten and Dahl pulled out their second wins of the day in singles, Felten with a 7-5, 6-1 win and Dahl 6-3, 6-3. Also getting into the victory column in singles were Rust and Mauthe.

In doubles the Blugolds continued with the team of Hoffman and Dahl winning 8-4 at number one doubles, and In number three doubles Mauthe and junior Jordon Stevens pulling out an 8-2 victory.

The Blugolds, now 3-3 will travel Friday to Green Bay, competing against Wisconsin Lutheran and St. Norbert.