Blugold Tennis splits home matches

Story by Trent Tetzlaff, Staff Writer

The UW-Eau Claire men’s tennis team cruised to a 9-0 victory over St. Ambrose University (Iowa) at the the McPhee Strength and Wellness Center Saturday but struggled Sunday against Division II opponent in St. Cloud State (Minn.), losing 7-2.

On Saturday in singles play, the Blugolds won all six matches and lost only a combined seven games.

Play was handled with ease, thanks to strong performances from the underclassmen. Sophomore Nathan Tretsven and freshmen Will Weyenberg and Conrad Felten each won with scores of 6-0, 6-0 at No. 3, No. 4 and No. 5 singles, respectively.

In doubles play, much was the same. The No. 3 combo of freshman Luke Zwiener and sophomore Jordon Stevens didn’t drop a game, winning 8-0. Respectively, the two other doubles teams, seniors Joe Meier and Ryan Vande Linde at No. 1 doubles and freshmen Michael Mauthe and Austin Auleta, at No. 2 doubles, both controlled their matches throughout with 8-2 victories.

However, on Sunday the lone victories against a tough St. Cloud team went to Meier and Vande Linde at No. 1 doubles, and to Will Weyenberg at No.5 singles.

The loss drops the Blugolds to 12-6 on the season and ends their consecutive seven game win streak.

The Blugolds will be on the road next weekend for three more contests. They will face Luther College (Iowa) in Winona, Minn. on Friday and will play the University of Dubuque (Iowa) and Edgewood College in Madison on Sunday.