Quick Hit: Blugolds send seniors out on high note

During their recent losing streak, the UW-Eau Claire women’s basketball team was either starting games out slow or closing them poorly.  But after an 81-70 romp over UW-Stout on Senior Night Saturday at Zorn Arena, letdowns were nonexistent. The Blugolds dominated from start to finish.

All three seniors, Leah Rempert, Sarah Bingea and Casteele Miller played crucial roles in a much needed victory that snapped a five game losing streak.

Rempert had 16 points, Bingea had 13, including the thousandth of her career, and Miller had seven to lead the Blugolds to 80-plus points for the first time all season.

Eau Claire was as offensively fluent as they’ve been all year, having 22 out of their 25 made baskets come with assists.

Freshman point guard Cady Roedl, who has battled injuries during the second half of the season, came off the bench to score 18 points to lead all scorers.

The win, which came in front of the largest crowd of the season at 1,079 people, proved to be crucial as it gave them sole possession of sixth place going into the last two games of the season.  Holding onto that sixth spot could give them a berth in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference tournament.

Check back for extended coverage or pick up Thursday’s edition of The Spectator.  Also, keep an eye out for more on Bingea’s journey to 1,000 career points.