Quick Hit: Blugolds claim NCHA championship outright

Haley Zblewski, Chief Copy Editor

After defeating UW-Superior 4-1 on Saturday night, the Blugolds men’s hockey team no longer has to worry about sharing their first Northern Collegiate Hockey Association championship with St. Norbert.

The weekend started off rocky, with the men falling 0-3 to St. Scholastica (Minn.) at home on Friday.

The Saints scored all three goals in the first period, and the Blugolds were able to keep them from scoring the rest of the night. Senior goalie Brandon Stephenson made 34 saves in the game.

On Saturday, the Blugolds got back on track with 13 seconds remaining in the first period when senior forward Jordan Singer scored a power play goal.

In the second period, Singer picked up his 18th goal of the season, putting the Blugolds up 2-0.

The night ended with the Blugolds on top, after senior forward Andrew Wilcox and freshman forward Ethan Nauman netted a goal of their own.

The Blugolds  are now 19-4-2 on the season, and 14-3-1 in the NCHA.

Check back for extended coverage or pick Thursday’s edition of The Spectator.