Men’s tennis splits weekend matches

The men’s tennis team suffered a loss against Augustana College (Ill.) Friday at home but redeemed themselves the very next day with an 8-1 win against Macalester College (Minn.). The weekend results bring the Blugold’s record to 14-6 on the season.

Coach Tom Gillman said the team’s mixed weekend seemed to be a result of their youth.

“We played on too much emotion,” he said. “Emotion only works when things are going well.

“We have a young team, and when we play too emotionally it doesn’t serve us very well.”

Senior Florent Marco also thought the team played with too much emotion in the first match but noted their performance improved from Saturday.

“We played a lot stronger and the attitude was really different,” he said.

Gillman said he felt senior Chris Kuna played exceptionally during the weekend, beating Augustana’s Adam DeSimone in the No. 1 spot 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 Friday and Macalester’s Chris Fowler 6-3, 6-1 Saturday.

“His body language and his approach to play was stronger, he looked more comfortable on the court,” Gillman said, “It’s important because Chris is a really good player and he’s a senior and we need him.”

In doubles, senior Dirk Van Rybroek and sophomore Ryan Vande Linde dominated both of their No. 2 matches last weekend, going 8-3 against Augustana and 8-5 against Macalester.

Gillman noted that Van Rybroek had returned from an injury that left him out for most of the season.

“I think it’s great to get Dirk back, (he) is a very important player on our team,” Gillman said. “More important than just winning or losing, just getting a senior back in the lineup, a guy that’s been in our program, is important to me on the personal front.”

Van Rybroek said it was great getting back on the court again. “But the best part about it all was being able to play alongside all of my teammates,” he said.

Up next for the Blugolds is a 3 p.m. match on Friday at home against Luther College (Iowa).