photo 1Pio-halloween-bannercopy_zps02391f0c.jpg
Filed under Sports

Softball maintains .500 record, will face WIAC-leading Eagles this weekend

After a week in which they won six games in a row, and seven of eight, the UW-Eau Claire softball team split a pair of double headers this week, keeping their overall record at .500 on the season. A six-game home stand helped the Blugolds improve from 9-15 to 15-15 overall. The six wins also kept the Blugolds at a perfect 6-0 at Gelein Field heading into the week.

On Thursday, the Blugolds traveled to UW-Superior to compete in a doubleheader. In the first game, the Blugolds scored in every inning except the second and the seventh en route to a 11-6 victory. In the second game, the Blugolds scored a run in the top of the seventh on a homerun by sophomore Emily Muller to tie the game at 4. The Yellowjackets, however, scored a walk-off single in the bottom half of the inning, ending the game at 5-4.

The loss ended Eau Claire’s seven-game winning streak, and dropped its WIAC record to 8-2. In the doubleheader, senior Katie Stalker stole two bases, giving her 68 total in her career – surpassing the old record of 67 set in 1996 by Tammy Brandt.

The Blugolds hosted UW-Oshkosh on Monday – rescheduled from Saturday due to rain – for a pair of games.

Eau Claire nursed a 4-2 lead heading into the bottom half of the sixth inning in the first game. They then proceeded to score six runs in the inning, giving the Blugolds a 10-2 lead, and ending the game. While the first game was ended an inning early, the second game needed two extra innings to decide a winner.

Leading 3-2 in the top of the seventh inning, the Blugolds surrendered a run, forcing extra innings. After a scoreless eighth inning, Eau Claire surrendered a two-run home run in the top of the ninth — a deficit the team was unable to overcome.

The loss keeps the 17-17 Blugolds at an even .500 and drops their WIAC record to 9-3 on the season and home record to 7-1. Eau Claire will play a pair of double headers against WIAC teams this weekend. On Saturday the team will travel to UW-Platteville before competing at UW-La Crosse on Sunday.