‘Pimp’ing music in Eau Claire

Get ready for a weekend event that has nothing to do with finals and everything to do with rock-and-roll.

The Pimps will be playing a 21-and-up show at 10 p.m. on Saturday at Stones Throw, 304 Eau Claire St., along with the bands 20 Dollar Love and The Skullcranes. All three bands describe themselves as rock ‘n’ roll and boast an amazingly energetic show.

Tony Crisman, bass player for the Pimps, said the band has been around since 1996. The members have known each other since they were 12, and they’re all in their 30s now, he said.

“It’s kind of punk rock, but there are all kinds of rock overtones,” he said.

They all own an apartment together, Crisman said, and it’s partially their close relationship that lends to their success and longevity as a band.

The band hails from Rockford, Ill., and has played at Eau Claire’s Stones Throw for nearly 10 years. They’ve even started a successful country side-project that they’ve showcased in state fairs and family reunions, though Crisman didn’t mention they’d show that side on Saturday.

“We’re always excited for Eau Claire,” he said. “It’s one of our many homes away from home.”

One of the other bands, 20 Dollar Love, carries a more “super fun ’70s feel” and is a wildly entertaining band to see, said Jake Schut, co-owner of Love’s label, Crustacean Records. 20 Dollar Love will be releasing an album in August.

Nate Love, vocalist and guitar player for 20 Dollar Love, said it’s the band’s first trip to Eau Claire.

“Some friends of mine said Stones Throw is pretty cool to play at . and The Skullcranes are our homies,” he said. “It will definitely be a fun show.”

When asked what to expect, Love said the band is fun, energetic and sexy.

“It’s sort of cult, sex rock,” he said. “We don’t play indie rock or hipster rock; it’s just pure rock, and it’s a lot of fun.”

Love also said their shows are mostly about drinking, having a good time and putting on a high-energy show.

The Skullcranes are also affliated with Crustacean Records, which is one of the longest-lasting prominent record labels in the area.

“I would say (The Skullcranes) remind me of NOFX, but maybe a little bit more of snotty rock ‘n’ roll,” Schut said. “They’re very good to drink to on a Saturday night, and I’m excited to have them there on Saturday.”

The three bands are hitting Eau Claire for good reason.

“It seems like Eau Claire’s always had a good core of a rock scene; it’s a college town, and it’s located in a strategic location between Madison and the (Twin) Cities,” Schut said. “It seems like Eau Claire has always had this stuff going on.”

GT Slocum, the Pimps’ manager, said he is always excited for Eau Claire.

“We’ve grown a relationship with the Stones Throw, and we’ve played over at House of Rock,” he said. “Eau Claire is just kind of a staple for us.”

All three bands bragged about their high energy and excitement for the upcoming show. So if anyone is willing to take an escape from those end-of-the-semester library marathons, maybe a rock-and-roll remedy is in order.

The Pimps with 20 Dollar Love and The Skullcranes
    Time: 10 p.m.
    Date: Saturday
    Place: Stones Throw, 304 Eau Claire Street