Public urination stop leads to second underage, new graffiti appears

Police+Blotter

Story by Sami West, Staff Writer

New graffiti

UW-Eau Claire Police noticed new graffiti on the left side of the cement wall of the roadway underneath Hilltop Center Friday night.

The north wall now has writing “Bill + Jill,” which is about three inches large. Another addition was “Hello my name is SMOGG + I love you,” created with what appeared to be black spray paint that appeared to have already faded.

‘Ran off the train’

Campus police issued a second offense underage alcohol consumption citation to a male subject on Garfield Avenue Hill late Friday night.

At approximately 11:24 p.m., a student patrol member reported a male subject urinating in the wooded area near the sidewalk of Garfield Avenue Hill.

When the officers arrived on scene, they observed the reported male, and three other male subjects nearby. One officer went to speak with the male subject, the other to talk to speak with the other members of the group.

The subject originally denied to urinating outside, but later confessed after the officer said he knew he was lying. The responding officer then asked why he would urinate outside if Hilltop Center was open, and he could’ve gone to the bathroom in the building. The subject appeared to be surprised and claimed he did not think to use the restroom inside the building, according to the report.

As the subject and officer conversed, the officer could smell a strong odor of intoxicants coming from his breath, he noticed the subject’s speech was slurred and slow and his eyes were bloodshot and glassy.

After some hesitation, the subject admitted to drinking about five shots of whiskey in the dorms. The officer performed a preliminary breath test, and the subject scored a result of .14.

The officer issued the subject a second-offense underage drinking citation as a result. The officer “gave him a break” in not issuing him a citation for public urination, but the subject still complained to the officer loudly. His nearby friends urged him to “shut up.”

In the other responding officer’s conversation with the other three subjects, they confessed to attending a house party off-campus. The three male subjects had returned to upper campus to bring their friend, who was too intoxicated, back to his room.

When the officer asked why they allowed their friend to urinate publicly, they explained they “didn’t realize he wasn’t behind them until he was done,” and that he must’ve “ran off the train.”